Welcome to BIOL 4001: Field Botany Urban Botany OER/ZTC course site.
Since we live in an urban environment with many trees, shrubs, and flower plantings this course is designed so that each student will always be able to walk down the street and have some familiarity with their environs. To that end, each student will learn to identify approximately 50-60 trees and shrubs and know them by their common name, scientific name and family, as well as some annuals and perennials commonly used as bedding plants. Students will learn some basic the botanical concepts, which are used in, plant identification, such as botanical structural features used in phylogeny and taxonomy of plants. In addition to this, students will get an overview of the ecological and economic aspects specific to urban botany.
Lecture: 10 am to 12 pm on Tuesdays and Wednesday.
Lab: Meeting times are 10 am to 12 noon on Thursdays.
During the 6-week summer session there will be 10 online lectures on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, and 5 lab sessions on Thursdays through Blackboard collaborate for which attendance is mandatory.
For each week there will be readings assigned and a 20-minute quiz given on the content of the lecture that week and the associated reading. Quizzes available from Monday to Sunday on the week they are open and can be taken multiple times. Lab Plant reports.
Download a broad outline word document calendar for the course.
Lecture: Dr. Anna Petrovicheva – firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours: Wednesdays 9 am to 10 am
Dr. Eliza Wiech – ELIZAMWIECH@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Weeks # 1-5 : Tuesdays 12pm-1 pm; Wednesdays 12pm-1:30 pm; Thursdays 9 am-10am
Week #6: Wednesday 12pm-1:30 pm
Dr. Ileana Friedman – IleanaF@brooklyn.cuny.edu
Office hours: Thursdays, 12 to 2 pm
Office hours will be held through Blackboard on the discussion boards and email, with the instructor availability during that hour. For video meetings, email to arrange ahead of time if needed.
- All readings, images, slides, videos etc. for BIO 4001 Field Botany: Urban Botany will be available on a website (the one you are on right now)
- All content is provided for free and there are no books to purchase.
- All course meetings and assignments submissions will be through Blackboard. There is a combined Blackboard site for all the course sections.
Course WordPress Site Contains
- Syllabus and course schedule.
- A pdf file (“Collection Packet”), which is a manual that provides leaf outlines and descriptions of each of the trees and shrubs in the course site.
- PowerPoint content lecture files with botanical information to use for exam study on the course site.
- Readings for each week in PDF format.
- Assignment instructions, template, checklist and rubric.
- The assignment must be submitted through Blackboard.
- An excel file (“Plants on Exam”) with a list of all the trees, shrubs, annuals and perennials on the exam.
Course Blackboard Site Contains
- Discussion boards for online interaction, resources and office hours.
- Online class meetings will be through Blackboard collaborate.
- Lecture slides.
- Recording of the lecture after class is over for the day.
- All quizzes and the final exam.
Site Icon Legend
Brooklyn College Library Item. Off-campus library login required. Instructions on logging in
Fair use items. Professor will give you password.